Monday, April 13, 2009

He places us where he thinks we can be stretched but also allows us to shine!

INT.OFFICE - PANTRY - LATE AFTERNOON

Ah Lim and Ali were having coffee break at the six-seaters long table. Chatting, Ah Tan and Ah Teo entered the pantry. While Ah Tan waited for the coffee machine to dispense his coffee, Ah Teo walked over to the chairman seat, sat down and took out a packet of 3-in-1 coffee from his trousers pocket. He poured the powder into his mug of hot water. When Ah Tan finally sat down next to Ah Lim, he found both men staring at Ah Teo.

ALI: Er... brother, what are you drinking?
AH TEO: Oh... it's 3-in-1 coffee that I've bought from Japan previously. You know, I can't stand the kind of 3-in-1 coffee that sold here, they're horrendous! And the coffee from our machine, urgh...

Ah Tan, Ah Lim and Ali looked at their papercups silently. Ah Teo's mobile phone rang and he picked it up.

AH TEO (talking to the mobile phone): Yes Lew, the meeting with PTC? Oh... to review their last report on the buses? Hmm... yes, tomorrow will be fine. Ask Sam to attend on my behalf. Yes, and ask him to report the status to me after the meeting.

Ah Teo hang up and put his mobile phone back into his trousers pocket.

AH TEO: Sorry about that. Have to answer it or else they'll panic.
AH TAN: No worries! Oh yes, almost forgot to congratulate you on your new role!

Ah Tan stretched out his hand to shake with Ah Teo, and the other two men followed.

AH TEO: Thanks guys! Erm... but which role are you congratulating me on?
AH TAN, AH LIM, ALI (together): Huh?
AH TEO (chuckles): Hahaha... I've got a total of eight roles you know? And two of them are even the Senior Parliamentary Secretary at two different ministries, so you've got to be precise!
AH TAN: Erm... we're actually congratulating you on your latest mayor appointment.
AH TEO: Oh! That one! Yah silly me! I should have guessed because that's the latest one! Hahaha...

Ah Teo's laughter was interrupted by his mobile phone ringing.

AH TEO (talking to the mobile phone): Yes Lew, the agency has completed the new TVC for Family? Oh great! Hmm... no, no, we have to review the TVC by today. Ask Alan to take a look and ask him to call me after he has done reviewing to tell me whether it's a Go. Okay.

Ah Teo hang up and put his mobile phone back into his trousers pocket again.

AH LIM (scoffs): Wah you very busy hor! One person holding eight appointments!
AH TEO (sighs): Yes it is really very tiring at times, having to handle so many things, having to make so many decisions. But luckily I'm really good at multi-tasking!
ALI: Yah, got so many things to do, still got time for tea-break!
AH TEO (clears throat): Well, it will take a delicate balancing act to make sure I devote enough time to each of my role. But it is a challenge I relish. I'm sure you know how Boss stretches us all, especially the younger ones like me. He places us where he thinks we can be stretched but also allows us to shine.
AH LIM (scoffs): But how come Boss gives you eight oppuntunities to shine, but people like us only got one? Because we're not as smart as you har?

Instead of answering Ah Lim, Ah Teo just chuckled and drank his coffee. Ah Tan elbowed Ah Lim slightly.

AH TAN: So how's the work progress for the Youth Olympic Games? Everything cool?
AH TEO: Of course! Of course! Hey, I'm the one running it! And let me tell you this, I'm planning to spend the least money to make it the best sports event ever!

Ah Teo paused and grinned widely at the three men. The three men stared back at him blankly. Ah Teo then cleared his throat.

AH TAN (gasped): Oh! Yes! So what is that great plan of yours? How to spend the least money to make it the best?
AH TEO (smiling): By citizens participation!
AH TAN, AH LIM, ALI (together): Huh?
AH TEO: We're asking for sponsorship from advertising agencies to sponsor all advertising, branding and promotion for the event. At the same time, we're also asking the local universities to provide free lodging for the participants. And most importantly, we're asking our youths to volunteer themselves as working parties for the event! See? Least cost spent! Hahaha...

Ah Teo's laughter was interrupted by his mobile phone ringing again.

AH TEO (talking to the mobile phone): Yes Lew, the party youth wing's quarterly meeting? Do you have their agenda? Hmm... okay. Ask them to send you the agenda then, and go through it. I'm sure there isn't any critical matters. Why don't you attend on my behalf? Yes, yes. Let me know then.

Ah Teo hang up and put his mobile phone back into his trousers pocket again.

AH LIM (raising left eyebrow): You sure those advertising agencies will do free labour for you?
AH TEO (sternly): Of course they will! It's the Youth Olympic Games! They should feel honoured to be the one advertising and promoting it! What more can they ask for? And they're doing this for the country!

The three men sipped their coffee silently.

AH TEO (sighing): Anyway, it's not easy, you know? To be so capable. Most of the time I've only got five hours of sleeping time! And I'm also sacrificing my personal time with my wife and two kids!
AH TAN: And you're still joining that Ironman event in China next month?
AH TEO (tapping his hand on Ah Tan's shoulder): Of course! I want to prove to myself that I can complete a full Ironman while in office! It's things like this that keep me energised and motivated! You must always have something to look forward to every day, you know?
AH LIM: Har? Run, swim and cycle will keep you energised in the office meh? I think I'll fall asleep only man!
AH TEO (chuckles): Hahaha... guess we're just different. To me, it's always to infinity and beyond!

Ah Teo's mobile phone rang again and he picked it up.

AH TEO (talking to the mobile phone): Yes Lew. What? Meet-the-people session at the GRC? When? Next week? Could you call Kwan to ... oh... you mean for this, I have to do it myself?

,,,,

Digg!

No comments:

Post a Comment